Vital health information in a minute
Protect Your Health: Make the Most of your Annual Check-Up
Getting an annual check-up is one of the best things you can do for your health. Seeing a health care provider regularly can help find problems before they start, when chances for treatment and cure are better. Plus, it provides an opportunity to focus on your whole health, including both physical and emotional well-being. Here’s what you get out of having an annual check-up and why it’s worth your time.
1. Focus on you. Having an annual check-up helps you take action to improve your health and understand your health risks. You can talk openly about emotional and health concerns such as depression, anxiety, sleep issues, sexual health and more.
2. Review your family tree. If you have a family history of heart disease, stroke, diabetes or cancer, your provider may emphasize ways to prevent disease and detect it early.
3. Prepare for health screenings. Your annual check-up is a great time to discuss other exams you might need, such as a colon cancer screening or mammogram. Your provider will recommend screening tests that are appropriate for you.
4. Stay up-to-date on vaccines. Vaccines are essential for keeping you and others in your community healthy. Depending on your age and other factors, you might be due for a tetanus shot, flu shot or other vaccines.
5. Set goals for your health. What do you hope to accomplish in the next year? Your provider can help you make a plan for losing weight, quitting smoking or other goals.
View this article as a pdf.
| This information is for educational purposes only. It’s not medical advice. Always ask your doctor for appropriate examinations, treatment, testing, and care recommendations. |
All Cigna products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation.
949220 02/21 © 2021 Cigna. Some content provided under license.