Training / Schools
Kansas City Training Center Entrance ProcessApplication
Applications are accepted every Monday through Friday at 8:00 am- 11:00 am and 12:15pm – 4:00 pm at the Western Training Facility located at 8955 E 38th Terr. Kansas City, MO 64129. Applicants must be 18 years of age and are REQUIRED to bring the following documents:
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of High School Diploma/GED/Transcripts
- If applicant has not obtained their diploma or GED, they will be required to do so within the first 12 months of their apprenticeship.
- A third option for applicants who have not obtained their GED or HS diploma- they may complete a series of Work Key testing and meet specific scoring requirements.
Letter of Intent - 3-4 hours to complete process
Letters of Intent are only accepted for previously qualified applicants with the Apprenticeship. Once this letter is obtained, the applicant will need to return to the Western Training Facility to complete the application process.
Letters of Intent are accepted Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8 am - 11 am; Wednesday 9 am - 11 am; and Monday - Friday 12:15 pm - before 3 pm.
- Present Letter of Intent to the Apprenticeship Office
- Complete paperwork with the Apprenticeship Office for the Department of Labor
- Complete on-site substance abuse testing
- Complete Math and Reading Work Key Testing - tests must be passed within 6 months of joining apprenticeship
- Obtain work permit with the Regional Council, $24.00 (cash, check, money order or credit card accepted)
- If applicant has not been a prior member, they will go on a permit for six (6) months, at $24 per month (cash, check, credit card or money order).
- After six (6) months, applicant will pay initiation fee and join a local. Initiation fees are as follows:
|1st & 2nd Term||$40|
|3rd & 4th Term||$80|
|5th & 6th Term||$120|
|7th & 8th Term||$160|
Individuals who are over the age of 22 and have at least 4 years of experience in the field have the opportunity to complete a placement test after being a qualified applicant with the union.
- Individual must meet age and experience requirements mentioned above.
- Letter of Intent from contractor must request administration of Journeyman Placement test (Letters of Intent are only accepted for previously qualified applicants).
8955 East 38th Terrace
Kansas City, MO 64129
Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy
The Carpenters' Training Fund admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all of the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at its school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.