Training / Schools
Southeast Missouri Carpenters' Joint Apprenticeship Training ProgramRequirements
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old
- Complete the application process as listed below or on the SEMO CJAP website
Applicants must apply in person at the Southeast Missouri Carpenters Joint Apprenticeship Program (CJAP):
L. Bruce Bird Training Center
813 Enterprise St
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703
Coordinator: Shane I. Tyler, Sr.
Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 8 am to 11 am (except holidays). Applicants must present proof of age (photo ID) when applying. Applicants may qualify for entry into the Apprenticeship Program with Advanced Standings, based on high school participation. There is no cost to apply to become an apprentice except for the processing fee ($35), monthly union dues, and purchase of hand tools - see Apprenticeship Process.
The Southeast Missouri Carpenters' Apprenticeship Program provides training in Carpentry, Welding and Millwright work.
After completing the application and to begin the Indenturing Process, an applicant must:
- Submit an application to CJAP
- Upon completion of the application, applicants are presented with a list of signatory contractors
- Secure a job with a signatory contractor AND obtain a letter of intent from the signatory contractor
- Bring the letter of intent to CJAP along with
- $35 processing fee (cash, check or money order),
- Photo ID, and
- Social Security Card.
- Sign Apprenticeship Agreement and Union Membership.
- Get scheduled for New Apprentice course
- Report to job site
- Obtain required Basic Tools
- Start job; Note: Employed apprentices are registered with the U. S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship
- Report to the L. Bruce Bird Training Center when notified. This usually takes place about 3 months after completion of new apprenticeship course. Apprentices report to the school for 40 hours of training (5-day period, or one unit), every three months.
- Training and pay progresses as the apprentice completes units. The minimum Apprentice pay rate is 50% of the Journeyman rate.
- Achieve Journey level status after completing 18 units and 6,000 hours on-the-job learning, or approximately four and a half years of apprenticeship. **If an Apprentice does not attend training during his/her scheduled week, he/she will be placed on probation and subsequently suspended from the program.**
Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy
The Carpenters' Apprenticeship Program admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all of the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at its school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.