Sleep is one of the most overlooked paths to wellness. Just one night of sleep deprivation can leave you with dark, puffy circles under your eyes, hunger pangs, inability to focus and/or the common cold. Over time, these occasional lapses can lead to more serious conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and stroke. Believe it or not, the key to a healthy life is to strive to practice good sleep habits, including getting to bed on time. Sleep On It to improve your health.
- Man is the only mammal that willingly delays sleep.
- One of the primary causes of excessive sleepiness among Americans is self-imposed sleep deprivation.
- Snoring is the primary cause of sleep disruption for approximately 90 million American adults; 37 million on a regular basis.
- There are individual differences in the need to nap. Some adults and children need to nap. However, the majority of teenagers probably nap in the afternoon because they are not sleeping enough at night.
- People who don’t get enough sleep are more likely to have bigger appetites due to the fact that their leptin levels (leptin is an appetite-regulating hormone) fall, promoting appetite increase.
Beginning on September 21, Carpenters Wellness Program's Sleep On It Challenge will challenge you to focus on establishing a new healthy sleep habit each day. Complete the two weeks of tasks in Carpenters Wellness Program's portal and you will earn a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card!
How to Sign Up
- If you haven't already, set up a Carpenters Wellness Program account now. There is a temporary online account set up for each participant under the Health Plan who is at least 18 years old. Confirm your last name and date of birth and Carpenters Wellness Program tools and challenges will be available to you each time you log in to your wellness account.
- Visit the Sleep On It Challenge banner at the top of the home page within the Wellness Program portal to sign up. Sign ups begin Tuesday, September 1. The challenge officially begins Monday, September 21 and ends on Monday, October 5 at midnight.
- To be entered to win a $50 Amazon gift card, you must complete all the tasks as outlined in the Challenge email you receive each week.
Carpenters Wellness Program portal: wellness.carpdc.org